Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Men into Space

Today's trivia fact:
The concept of the space elevator was invented in 1895 by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky - a scientist who was later honored by Star Trek - The Next Generation with the name of a science ship. Full of crazy people.

NASA has announced a competition to design the first space elevator. Like the X-Prize, the competition is open to anyone who wants to try and build the thing.
The concept is simple. Take one really tough cable. Send one end into orbit. Attach the other end to the ground. Attach a cable car.
No rockets, no explosions. No G-force - the cable car can move at automobile speeds.

Hurry up, people. I want to get into space before I die, and my bones aren't getting any tougher, you know.

Thought for the day - What purpose does mankind have, other than to figure out what purpose mankind has?

1 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Blogger Brian Dunbar said...

Hurry up, people. I want to get into space before I die, and my bones aren't getting any tougher, you know.

We're dancing as fast as we can, over here, honest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home