Saturday, November 05, 2005

Giles

The Hundred Years War lasted 116 years - 1337 to 1453.

I am a big fan of the late British cartoonist Giles.
He contributed a cartoon to the London Daily Mirror nearly every week, starting just after WW2 and ending just before the millennium. Every year the Daily Mirror would publish that year's collection of cartoons in a softcover book, and they are still publishing "best of" collections yearly.
I am still missing several of the earliest books - I think my collection starts with #10 - and I still need a few of the later years. But I've got most of them.
It's not that the cartoons are funny - well, they are, although they are quasi-political cartoons, and cover many now-forgotten topics - but because of what is in the drawings.
The Giles collections are a week by week, year by year LOOK at England - the clothing, the cars, the attitudes, the home decor, the jargon, the customs, everything. I look through the books and see how Christmas shopping has changed over 50 years, how the store layouts have changed, how the products have changed. His cartoons are full of details, to the point that they are the best examination of British life that you could ask for. They should publish the entire set in one huge volume, called The Illustrated History of Britain 1945-2000.

1 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Mandrill said...

My dad has all the Giles books and I love them all. Grandma is "The Man" as I believe it is colloquially put.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home